Kevin Hart might have been a perfectly good host for the Oscars, before circumstances - in the form of old tweets - intervened. The tweets and jokes-which had been known for quite some time-gained new visibility in the wake of the hosting announcement, and Hart decided he had already apologized and didn't want to do it again (truly the sign of someone who is genuinely remorseful).
"I'm not taking anything away from actors", he added, "but I don't know that we need to be that celebratory, that's the biggest celebration on Earth, and it's just about people who are pretending and wearing makeup". "The offer was made, it was received, I was excited, things happened, it didn't work out the way it should have". The reason I chose to pass is because I've addressed this several times, this is not the first time this has come up, I've addressed this.
On Monday, Hart took to his Sirius XM radio show to say he was sorry.More news: Russian lawyer in Trump Tower meeting charged with obstruction
More news: Day adds 2nd Michigan coach to Ohio State staff
More news: Trump wants safe withdrawal of USA troops from Syria - White House
"I'm done with it", Hart told host Michael Strahan.
"There's no more conversation about it ... And I'm about today". If it's not, it's nothing that I can control. "So I'm done with it". I'm not saying how I've changed anymore ... "I've done it. You will not hear me saying anything else about it".
"I will say this, and I want to make this very clear". 30 years ago in 1989, the show had no host, instead opting to open with an 11-minute monologue in which actor Rob Lowe sings "Proud Mary" with Snow White. "If you keep feeding this energy, then it's going to grow", Hart told Strahan of the "Ellen" backlash. "We are a huge group of people who love you and want you to host the Oscars".