Man dies in 3rd shark attack off Australian coast in 7 weeks


The last shark attack in the Whitsunday Islands before the latest spate took place on February 13 2010, off Dent Island, where 60-year-old tourist Patricia Trumbull survived lacerations and major blood loss.

The most recent attack occurred on Monday when a 33-year-old man from Victoria suffered fatal injuries.

The patrols are created to provide reassurance to the boating community and tourists on the water.

Cid Harbour, located in north Queensland's idealic tourism hotspot the Whitsunday Islands, has recently become notorious for shark attacks following the mauling of two people in September this year.

He had dived into the water to give the woman her turn on the board when the shark attacked, O'Connell said.

"The man and woman who was onboard have gone into the water in the late afternoon and they were taking turns at using a stand-up paddleboard".

"The majority of people from last time [in September] were very much against the drum lines".

"We can't be clearer - don't swim in Cid Harbour", he said, according to the news outlet.

Most of the victim's company were people with medical background, including two doctors, who brought him back to his yacht to seek help.

More news: Girl scouts killed by truck while litter picking on roadside
More news: Nigeria's army cites Trump to justify shooting Shia protesters
More news: Alec Baldwin Arrested After Fight Over Parking Spot

Christidis was taken by helicopter to the Mackay Base Hospital, 100 kilometres (60 miles) to the south, where he died.

A 12-year-old tourist, Hannah Papps, lost her leg when she was attacked in the same spot while swimming from a yacht the next day.

RACQ CQ Rescue crewman Ben McCauley said the man's injuries were "absolutely horrific".

Tasmanian mother of two Justine Barwick (46) was bitten on her left thigh while snorkelling in the same area on September 19 and underwent 18 hours of surgery.

"We have to understand that while there have been two attacks in rapid succession, shark attacks are rare and sharks play an important role in the ecosystem of the Great Barrier Reef", he said.

Tourism Whitsundays chief executive Peter O'Reilly said at the time that the Trumbull attack was the first in the islands in 13 years and only the third ever recorded.

"We need to now have the scientific background and investigation of what is causing this sudden spike of attacks and interactions with sharks".

Four tiger sharks were culled from the waters following the attacks and drum lines, which are unmanned aquatic traps used to lure and capture sharks with baited hooks, were additionally laid out by the Queensland state government.