Donald Trump planning executive order on immigration

Share

President Donald Trump is preparing to announce a change in asylum rules Thursday from the White House, multiple sources tell CNN, as he seeks to use a group of Central American migrants heading for the U.S. border as part of his closing argument to voters ahead of the midterms.

Trump said Thursday that, under his order, any migrants who do enter the country would be housed in "massive tent cities" he plans to build while their cases are processed. And it also was questionable whether Trump has the legal authority.

Trump told the groups of migrants, most of whom are in Honduras and still more than 900 miles away from the USA border, to seek legal entry. And any change would nearly certainly be immediately challenged in court.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity to provide details not yet released.

Central American migrants, part of the caravan hoping to reach the US border, get a ride on trucks, in Donaji, Oaxaca state, Mexico, Friday, Nov. 2, 2018.

The president announced on Wednesday that he was considering deploying up to 15,000 troops to the U.S.

As the migrant caravan continues to plod across Mexico, some experts predict they may make it to the U.S. southern border sooner rather than later.

Mr Trump reiterated that he wanted to set up "tent cities" to hold people coming to the USA, including those seeking asylum. So they're going to have to lawfully present themselves at a port of entry. There are billions of people in the world living at the poverty level. In McAllen, Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley, workers were seen installing additional gates and fences along a walkway on a bridge between the USA and Mexico, according to The Monitor paper of McAllen. Asylum is a very special protection intended only for those fleeing government persecution based on race, religion, and other protected status. Of those who show up at court, about 13 percent are granted asylum, according to fiscal year 2016 numbers, when more than 65,000 asylum applications were received.

"The U.S. military personnel that are going have very clear guidance that we've given them", he told reporters on October 30. Generally, only about 20 percent of applicants are approved. But the most comparable example can likely be found under George W. Bush, who in 2006, sent some 6,000 Guardsmen to the border for a two year period starting in 2006, a cost to taxpayers of $1.2 billion. Other large groups from Honduras and El Salvador are following behind them up through Guatemala and Mexico.

But many appear to be growing increasingly angry with caravan organizers after confusion broke out regarding buses that would have taken migrants to Mexico City more quickly.

More news: Alec Baldwin Arrested After Fight Over Parking Spot
More news: Video of cop killer becomes Trump campaign push
More news: NYPD denies releasing information on slain Saudi sisters seeking asylum in US

President Trump's announcement comes as a number of caravans make their way from Central America, through Mexico and to the United States. It involves the 2010 fatal shooting by a U.S. Border Patrol agent of a 16-year-old Mexican boy who the agent says was throwing rocks from the other side of the border.

Just last week officials were indicating that about 800 to 1,000 might be sent.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to inquiries about Trump's direct remarks.

"We have a lot of tents", Trump said. "We have about 5,800". It's not going to happen to our soldiers.

The speech follows a series of proposals and statements on immigration that Trump's opponents have called outlandish stunts.

Notably, he said his executive order would come next week, which means it could be after Election Day.

Trump said he was not anti-immigrant but wanted immigration to be completely brought under control.

The spot includes expletives uttered by Bracamontes during his trial professing regret at not killing more officials. It adds: "Democrats let him into our country..."

The video is reminiscent of the infamous 1988 "Willie Horton" ad used against Democratic presidential candidate Michael Dukakis and condemned as racist. He lost to Republican George H.W. Bush. As Massachusetts governor, Dukakis supported the furlough program.

Share