Pompeo: Saudis promise nobody exempt in missing journalist probe

Share

"Turkish officials have said they possess evidence that the 15 Saudi agents flew into Istanbul on October 2, assassinated Mr. Khashoggi, dismembered his body with a bone saw they had brought for the objective, and flew out the same day", reported the Times, without giving the names of the officials reportedly cited.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday that Saudi leaders have promised to ensure accountability over missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, even as they denied any responsibility for his disappearance.

Mr Mutreb, perhaps a bodyguard, has been photographed emerging from planes with Prince Mohammed on recent trips to Madrid and Paris, the newspaper reported.

Turkish officials would not comment on the disposal method for the body, pending investigation and a planned search of the consul's residence.

The consul general himself, who has not been seen in public since the scandal erupted, left Turkey on a commercial flight to Riyadh hours before his house became part of the criminal investigation.

He and Prince Mohammed "agreed on the importance of a thorough, transparent, and timely investigation", a US State Department spokeswoman said in Washington.

"However, there are some findings and they are being worked on", he said.

But he refused to be drawn on whether Khashoggi was alive or dead and who could be responsible. "They didn't want to either".

Saudi Arabia has said it would retaliate against any pressure or economic sanctions. The secretary of state also met with Cavusoglu on Wednesday, the news agency says.

More news: Tom Brady sends warning to National Football League after Patriots end Chiefs unbeaten start
More news: Fox & Friends Completely Fawns Over Trump's 60 Minutes Interview: Never More Confident
More news: The Russo Brothers Wrap on Avengers 4 Reshoots

"I have my own opinions". "I have to find out what happened", he said.

Riyadh is a key ally for the West and US President Donald Trump compared what was happening to the accusations of sexual assault leveled against now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing.

"The one thing we really know as a solid fact is that Khashoggi went into the consulate and he was never seen coming out again", Colville said, adding that it seemed "very probable" that some crime had been committed. "I don't like that".

The Daily Beast reported that Saudi officials plan to pin Khashoggi's death on an unnamed Saudi two-star general, citing two anonymous sources familiar with the matter. However, there has yet to be any sign of this being published. A voice on the recording can be heard inviting him to leave, the report said.

17 that Saudi Arabia Consul Mohammad Utaybi's voice could be heard in one of the recordings of Khashoggi's "interrogation". "You are going to get me in trouble".

"I just spoke with the King of Saudi Arabia who denies any knowledge of what took place with regard to, as he said, his "Saudi Arabian citizen".

The New York Times reported Tuesday that a suspect identified by Turkey was a frequent companion of the prince's.

The International Monetary Fund's (IMF) managing director Christine Lagarde said she is deferring a scheduled trip to the Middle East in which she was meant to be attending an important investment conference in Riyadh. As Reuters notes, Google had announced an initiative to train aspiring tech workers at five "innovation hubs" throughout Saudi Arabia.

Share