'We could be finished': Strawberry sabotage devastates growers

Share

The Queensland Strawberry Growers Association believes a disgruntled farm worker may be responsible but police say they are investigating all aspects of the strawberry transit process.

Gane made the Facebook post while they were at the ER at 12:52 p.m. local time. "We're keeping a very open mind as to where this may have occurred".

Police suspect a disgruntled former employee sabotaged the strawberries with the sewing needles.

"Driving up the coast when Hoani Hearne bites through a strawberry and swallows half a sewing needle", he wrote.

"We have withdrawn Berry Obsession and Berrylicious branded strawberries from sale while this incident is being investigated".

People in possession of the brands in question should refrain from using them and strawberries from other companies "should be cut up" for safe measure, police said in the update, quoting Queensland's Chief Health Officer Dr. Jeannette Young.

Yesterday, Queensland police announced they were investigating a suspected copycat incident after a metal rod was discovered on top of strawberries inside a plastic punnet at a Coles in Gatton.

Queensland Acting Chief Superintendent Terry Lawrence says its a complex operation, because the industry provides more than 250,000 punnets of strawberries in Queensland alone in a five-day period.

Police are now interviewing what could end up being around 100 staff from the two affected farms, the ABC reported.

More news: Border Patrol agent went on 2-week killing spree
More news: Syria war has killed more than 360 000 - monitor
More news: Duncan Smith urges No 10 to talk to critics of Brexit plan

She had already sent her nine-year-old to school with uncut strawberries, but when cutting more strawberries for her 12-month-old at home, she found a needle.

The Berry Licious and Berry Obsession brands have been removed from shelves across Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory.

"And told the teacher there was a needle in his strawberry".

"Luckily he'd pulled it back out of his mouth", Stevenson said. "It's going to be a tough time for him financially with his business, but what effect that is long-term. hopefully that won't be too bad".

Responding to commenters about whether it was Coles or Woolies, she said: "Shocked to say the least because though it was woolies brand from other states but I literally squashed 2 out and my daughter found the first eating one".

It comes after Queensland Health advised for anyone concerned they may have consumed the contaminated strawberries to contact 13 43 25 84 or speak to their GP immediately. If you are in doubt of the brand, throw them out.

"We want everybody to check their strawberries before consuming them ... just cut them up, have a look", Supt Lawrence said.

In the post, Ms Faugeras said her 10-year-old discovered a pin embedded in a strawberry while eating a punnet they had bought from the Coles at Wingham.

Commenters on the photo discussed whether they would take the risk of buying the strawberries in the current situation.

Share