Mental health struggles surface for Vikings' Everson Griffen


According to a police incident report, authorities from the Minneapolis Police Department were called to Hotel Ivy on Saturday because an individual was threatening to shoot someone if he wasn't allowed in his room.

Griffen is reportedly being evaluated for mental health issues.

Prior to this weekend, Griffen had been "explosive, screaming and yelling" at the team facility to the point where he was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation by the team.

After a scary series of incidents on Saturday, Griffen remained away from the team on Tuesday and out of action indefinitely.

"We have a very, very good support program, and our owners do an unbelievable job of giving players all the resources that they need", Zimmer said. "It's about him getting better".

Kim Klawiter, the team's security director, told police on Saturday that Griffen was told "to go get his head straight", according to the report.

The situation began early Saturday morning when a Vikings staffer called cops to report the 3-time Pro Bowler was acting bizarrely and the team feared he could either hurt himself or others.

More news: Google quietly started logging people into Chrome without their consent
More news: Now Google search results to soon look like your social media feed
More news: Liverpool injury update ahead of Carabao Cup clash with Chelsea

The Star-Tribune reports that Griffen's wife said her husband "awoke in the middle of the night on September 16 and left the home" and that Griffen does that "at times when he is fighting "demons" in his head". The man drove Griffen home, then directed police to his house because "Everson was acting insane and he was unsafe", according to a report filed Saturday by Minnetrista police officer Justin Thompson. The police report also references another incident in Griffen's home neighborhood.

Griffen played in the Vikings' first two games and had half a sack in each game, but Pelissero reported that the situation became "unmanageable" last week, and he did not play against the Buffalo Bills.

Zimmer said he hasn't talked to Griffen since the Week 2 overtime game at Green Bay. "He's always been a really, really good model for us and obviously he's going through some tough times now".

Monday, a report came out alleging Griffen was arrested for trying to break into a teammate's home, but the Vikings denied that.

Griffen then went to a nearby gas station, where he saw a man who works at an establishment he frequents.

The Minnetrista Incident Report states there are no criminal charges forthcoming against Griffen since no crime was committed. "We know he's strong and he's going to push through it, and we just want him to know that we've got his back". He recently signed a four-year, $58 million extension that included a $2 million signing bonus and a total of $34 million in guaranteed money.