In an exchange in front of reporters before the meeting, Kim asked Pompeo if he had slept well and the U.S. Secretary said he had.
After the historic U.S.
At the talks, Mr Pompeo did not meet with Mr Kim, but instead with Kim Yong-chol, who is seen as his right-hand man.
Though Trump claimed "there is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea" following the Singapore summit, USA officials cited by NBC News reported that the country is still covertly producing uranium for nuclear weapons. This miracle can be yours.
"We consider this very important too since it is the first senior level face-to-face meeting since the summit between our two leaders", said Secretary Pompeo in response.
The peace process between the United States and North Korea was in crisis Sunday after Pyongyang angrily rejected Washington's "gangster-like" demand for rapid nuclear disarmament, despite two days of intense talks.
The statement was sure to fuel growing skepticism in the USA and elsewhere over how serious Kim is about giving up his nuclear arsenal.More news: Where the Trade Battle Hurts the Most
More news: Vettel dismisses Mercedes claims as "silly"
More news: Arsenal close to finalising Lucas Torreira deal
He said there were numerous UN Security Council resolutions demanding North Korea hands over its nuclear material. "People are going to make certain comments after meetings. If I paid attention to the press, I'd go nuts and I refuse to do that".
He said that a meeting between the two sides has been set up on July 12 in Panmunjom along the inter-Korean border to discuss in a day or two the repatriation of US soldiers' remains left in the DPRK in the 1950s. But he added there remains work to be done.
"Sanctions will remain in place until final, fully verified denuclearization", Pompeo stressed. In contrast, the North Korean spokesman said "phased, simultaneous actions" are "the quickest way of realizing the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula".
"These are complicated issues, but we made progress on nearly all of the central issues", Pompeo said before boarding a plane to depart North Korea, according to a pool report.
Speaking Thursday aboard Air Force One on a trip to Montana, President Trump said he still believes Kim will follow through on his promise to denuclearize and that he forged a personal connection with the leader at their Singapore summit last month. And, the promised remains have yet to be delivered.
In a statement issued by an unnamed foreign ministry spokesman and carried by the Korean Central News Agency, the North lashed out at the United States for seeking unilateral and forced denuclearization from Pyongyang.
The secretary of state also said that despite a critical statement released by North Korea's Foreign Ministry on Saturday night, he thought the two sides had made progress during the meeting and that his North Korean counterpart, Kim Yong Chol, negotiated in "good faith" during the meeting.
"We had anticipated the U.S. side would come with a constructive idea, thinking we would take something in return", the statement said, warning its "resolve for denuclearisation. may falter". "But this expectation and hope of ours was so naive as to be gullible", the statement said.
It dismissed Trump's unilateral order to suspend joint USA and South Korean war games as a cosmetic and "highly reversible" concession and criticised United States negotiators who "never mentioned" the subject of bringing the 1953 Korean War to a formal end with a peace treaty.