Trump renews sanctions on North Korea

Share

North Korea agreed to send home USA war remains during the June 12 summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump.

But merely ten days after saying there was no risk from Pyongyang, Trump said that there is an "extraordinary threat" from its nuclear weapons.

The United States and its allies also vowed to keep global sanctions against North Korea in place until "significant progress" is made toward reaching the denuclearization goal.

At their summit, Kim and Trump signed a pledge "to work towards complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula", a stock phrase favored by Pyongyang that stopped short of longstanding United States demands for North Korea to give up its atomic arsenal in a "verifiable" and "irreversible" way.

Meanwhile, it was sending 158 metal temporary transfer cases that could be used to send the remains home from Seoul's Yongsan Army Garrison south to Osan Air Base, the command said.

Trump's remarks about the remains on June 20 were part of a broader description of progress made in North Korea.

And while Trump continues to celebrate that North Korea has "stopped everything you'd want them to stop", Kim has not apparently taken such concrete steps to do so - and much will likely depend on negotiations going forward.

"President Obama said that North Korea was our biggest and most risky problem", he tweeted. "The detailed negotiations have not begun", Mattis said.

More news: Morocco Player Claims Referee Asked Pepe For Cristiano Ronaldo's Shirt
More news: South Korea seeks joint canoe team at Asiad
More news: Hornets traded Dwight Howard to the Nets

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, speculated Trump might have been referring to explosions last month that North Korea said were to destroy tunnels at the Punggye-ri nuclear test site and the dismantling of a medium-range ballistic missile test stand at Iha-ri, also in May.

-South Korean exercises were a vital deterrent to North Korean threats.

The state of national emergency was expanded four times under former President Barack Obama and once before in September by Trump, who, despite current peace efforts, has deemed North Korea's nuclear arsenal a continued threat to USA national security.

Last year, Pyongyang fired two missiles over Japan and it has splashed others into the sea near the country, sparking a mix of panic and outrage.

More than 36,000 US troops died in the three-year war, which ended in an armistice instead of a peace treaty. China too has said they do not serve the cause of peace on the Korean Peninsula.

But on Friday, the White House released a declaration - signed by Trump - revealing that his outlandish claim was a complete lie.

This week, the United States and South Korea said they were suspending planning for August's Freedom Guardian exercise.

Pompeo told the same Cabinet meeting Kim had made a personal commitment, and added: "He has got his reputation on the line".

Share