McEntee was sacked from his job as an assistant to president Donald Trump on Monday.
News of McEntee's firing - which occurred on Monday - broke on Tuesday morning. McEntee was escorted from the White House on Monday after he was sacked over security concerns, two sources familiar with the matter told the Journal. McEntee was sacked on Monday over unspecified security concerns, according to a new report. His work has previously appeared in the American Prospect Online, and he blogs frequently at Sadly, No! And at one point, United States President Donald Trump singled out Jose Altuve - all 5-foot-6 of him - during a rather cringeworthy exchange. The former starting quarterback of the CT football team was abruptly escorted from the White House on the same day. That raises all sorts of questions about vetting within the White House and the Trump campaign, issues that came up during the campaign itself and the transition in late 2016-early 2017.
Trump and his wife, Melania, treated McEntee like a son, two people familiar with their relationship said. McEntee's role was described as "body man", always staying by Trump's side.More news: Trump examines prototypes for border wall amid protests
More news: Colombia vote result could dent leftist's presidency bid, pleasing market
More news: Snapshot for day 3 of the second Test
White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders declined to comment on the reasons for his departure, saying only that McEntee was going to the campaign. He delivered messages to the president at the White House residence, carried markers for Trump to sign autographs, and, most recently, changed clocks at the White House to adjust for daylight saving time.
A number of White House staffers have been let go or reassigned as chief of staff John Kelly tightened security measures following staff secretary Rob Porter's resignation amid domestic abuse allegations.
His 2020 re-election campaign said Tuesday McEntee will serve as senior adviser to the campaign.