California suspect in fatal hoax 911 call sent to Kansas


While making his first court appearance in Witchita, Kansas, Tyler Barriss, a 25-year-old from Los Angeles, California, received the charge for involuntary manslaughter over his involvement with the aforementioned swatting incident that led to the death of 28-year-old Andrew Finch.

Prosecutors allege Barriss made a call December 28 with a fake story about a shooting and kidnapping that led Wichita police to a home where 28-year-old Andrew Finch was shot and killed after opening his door. As reported by Glixel, Barriss could face a maximum fine of $300,000 and up to 36 months in prison under the manslaughter charge.

Barriss is now being held in the Sedgwick County jail on a $500,000 bond.

More information on the charges can be found on the official Wichita Eagle website.

According to jail records in Los Angeles, Barriss was released to Kansas authorities at 8:53 a.m.

More news: Following iPhone battery issues, Apple sinks to 19-month perception low
More news: SpaceX denies Falcon rocket caused secret Zuma mission failure
More news: Skype Gets End-to-End Encryption Through Signal Partnership

Finch, who was unarmed, was fatally shot by police after he answered the door.

The man accused of placing a "swatting" call that led to the deadly officer-involved shooting in Wichita has been booked into the Sedgwick County Jail.

The woman told police she believed she was the victim of a swatting call - when someone makes a phoney emergency call aimed at sending tactical officers to a certain location. The player who was the "target" of the offended player had provided the latter with a false address that led the police to Finch's home. The officer who shot Finch has been placed on administrative leave until the completion of the investigation. Finch appears to have no connection to the game or the dispute arising from it.

This week, Canadian police issued an arrest warrant for Barriss, accusing him of placing an eerily similar call just six days before the Kansas shooting. Police revealed few other details but said investigators identified a suspect who had made contact online with the woman earlier that day and that she was targeted because of her "online persona".

On the evening of December 22, officers were deployed to an apartment building in the community of Bankview after someone called 911 claiming that they had shot their father and taken members of their family hostage.