Saudi-led coalition claims number of cholera cases in Yemen exaggerated

Share

As Yemen, the Middle East's poorest country, reels under an ongoing three-year military assault by US-armed Saudi Arabia and its allies, the world community watches in increasing alarm as a massive cholera outbreak approaches the million mark and widespread starvation kills thousands of children.

With cholera hitting the 1 million mark for affected people in Yemen, the International Committee of the Red Cross tagged what was happening as "a disgusting milestone in the 21st century".

The number of suspected cholera cases in war-torn Yemen has reached one million, the International Committee of the Red Cross said on Thursday.

The World Health Organisation warned last month that some 2,200 people have already died from cholera. Six months after, that number has now risen to 1 million people, with a new wave of cholera expected in March or April next year.

In turn, the United Nations noted that the situation in Yemen is one of the most serious humanitarian crises in the world. In June, over 200,000 people in the country were said to have been affected by the cholera epidemic.

As a result of the war, in which Saudi planes targeted hospitals and medical centers in the country, the health system In Yemen has virtually collapsed, with health workers unpaid for a year.

More news: Powerball, Mega Millions almost $550 million combined; Ohio Lottery results
More news: Chelsea and Tottenham given fresh hope of signing Everton star Ross Barkley
More news: Reliance Jio launches Happy New Year 2018 plan

The Western-backed coalition, which controls Yemen's airspace and port access, said last month it would allow humanitarian relief through Hodeidah following a almost three-week blockade imposed because of a missile attack towards the Saudi capital's global airport. The Saudis have also at times suggested they were open to a settlement, though the Saudi-backed Yemeni faction has resisted anything that would cost President Hadi power in the post-wa situation.

The Houthis deny diverting aid to supply their own forces.

Trump has gotten increasingly anxious about the crisis in Yemen, according to a Wednesday CNN report, and reportedly told United Kingdom Prime Minister Theresa May that he is "fired up" about it. Millions are starving in Yemen and the country is facing a cholera outbreak.

Saudi Arabia said it "intercepted and destroyed" the missile.

The charity, Doctors Without Borders reports preventable, long-forgotten diseases are re-emerging in Yemen due to the catastrophic war that has been going on since March 2015.

Share