Five terrorist killed in two Kashmir encounters, para commando injured


Four militants including a top commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba were killed in twin encounters with forces in Budgam and Sopore on Thursday while a civilian was injured in forces firing on protestors near the encounter site in Budgam.

A fourth militant was shot dead by the security forces in Sagipora woods outside north-western town of Sopore in Baramulla district.

Police said the army fired in the air to disperse the protesters.

A teenager was injured when a mob clashed with the army in Pakherpora Chowk.

Meanwhile, the statistics released by the police said that for the first time in seven years more than 200 militants have been killed by the security forces, so far, in 2017.

In another tweet, he said "This marks a huge landmark for establishing peace and stability in the state of J&K and our country".

More news: Waze updated with motorcycle routing, voice commands, and HOV route support
More news: Threats to Deepika, Bhansali unacceptable: Nana Patekar
More news: Same-sex marriage law passes first major hurdle in Australia

One of the encounters broke out after security forces launched a cordon and search operation at Futlipora in Pakherpora area, 45 km from Srinagar, following information about presence of terrorists in the area, an army official said. "The encounter is still on", said Defence Ministry spokesman Col Rajesh Kalia.

"Encounter is going on at Fotlipora Pakerpora Charishrief area of Budgam. Three militants have been killed and we are looking for another one".

As security forces approached a house, the militants opened fire, triggering a gunfight which lasted for several hours.

A clash between civilian and Military forces has also erupted near the encounter site, which results in the injury to a civilian. One of the injured identified as Bashir Ahmad Mir was hit by bullet and two others by pellets.

Following the incident, the authorities have suspended Internet services in the district.

Defence experts said that security forces had met with a large measure of success in tackling militancy in the Valley this year.