Premier League to decide on new TV money plan


Also, they believe the league's current relative competitiveness is a big attraction for the Premier League overseas.

A two-thirds majority was needed to back the plan, but there was not enough support for Scudamore's proposal to attempt a vote on the topic.

The new proposal from Scudamore would see 35% of the global TV revenue allocated according to a club's final position in the table, with the remaining 65 percent distributed equally between all clubs.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham are searching for a bigger share of the £1bn revenue as they believe their greater popularity means they deserve more.

The next meeting of all Premier League clubs is scheduled to take place in November, though it is possible that the proposal could be amended before it is put up for discussion again. Under this format, last season's Champions Chelsea would have received £12m more than bottom placed Sunderland.

More news: Woman who lived with Las Vegas shooter described as 'person of interest'
More news: Million Texas Kids May Soon Lose Their Health Insurance
More news: Everton Lose At Home As The Pressure Mounts On Ronald Koeman

All teams receive £39m each per season under the current arrangement, in which all overseas television earnings are shared equally.

Wednesday's failure to reach agreement is a defeat for them and Scudamore, who is desperate to maintain a united front with negotiations about to start with domestic and foreign broadcasters.

Nine clubs are said to be in favour of the new distribution plan.

Another defeat in November, however, would undoubtedly revive talk of breakaway leagues and clubs selling their own rights, bringing an end to a 25-year truce that has seen the Premier League become a leading national export and the world's richest football league.