Black man beaten at white nationalist rally in Charlottesville faces felony charge


Deandre Harris was participating in a counterprotest to the white nationalists' "Unite the Right" rally in August when a clash broke out in a parking garage near the University of Virginia campus.

In a statement, the Charlottesville Police Department said that DeAndre Harris, 20, was wanted for unlawful wounding in connection with the August 12 assault, according to NBC affiliate WVIR.

Two other men are charged with malicious wounding for allegedly attacking Harris, according to local reports. "The victim went to the Magistrate's office, presented the facts of what occurred and attempted to obtain the warrant".

S. Lee Merritt, an attorney for Harris, told The Washington Post the charge is "clearly retaliatory".

Once Harris is arrested and taken in to custody an update to this media release will be sent out.

White supremacists on Twitter appeared to celebrate the warrant Monday evening; one white nationalist appeared to validate Merritt's claim there had been a group effort within the community to collect evidence that would get Harris arrested.

More news: Top 5 Jaw-Dropping Moments From "Star Wars"
More news: Trump Might Visit DMZ Between North Korea and South Korea
More news: Hurricane Nate expected to be category 2 upon reaching the Gulf Coast

Harris was attacked by a swarm of people in the Market Street Parking Garage, and several individuals have been charged in the beating.

Stills of the fight in which Harris is seen on the ground bloodied and bruised while being physically attacked by white racists went viral, with many working diligently to identify those involved.

"We find it highly offensive and upsetting, but what's more jarring is that he's been charged with the same crime as the men who attacked him", he said.

So far, federal authorities have taken no action to identify the man holding what appears to be a 9mm Glock semi-automatic handgun threatening Harris, despite high-resolution photos supplied by Roberts to the FBI. Harris incurred injuries that required him to have eight staples into his head.

Merritt is adamant that his client was not the antagonist in the incident and noted that Harris has plans to turn himself in to the police in the days to come. He also suffered a broken wrist and a chipped tooth.