Illness count rises at World Championships amid norovirus outbreak


TV channels: Live coverage of the evening session on NBC Sports Network (Comcast 732 in Portland area) from 11 a.m. -2 p.m.

Suspected cases of norovirus were identified after an outbreak at the offical hotel of the athletes and staff at the ongoing IAAF World Athletics Championships in London.

"Competing internationally requires 100 per cent commitment, running is always in the forefront of my mind and I arrived at London 2017 at peak fitness, but on the night my body said no".

But while she may have quit worldwide athletics, that's not to say Martin's running career is totally over.

"Athletes who have finished competing already have been offered a flight home to protect their health".

At least two leading medal contenders - including Irish hurdler Thomas Barr - have been forced to pull out of their races after the bug struck.

More news: South Koreans ask: Crisis? What crisis?
More news: Mattis warns North Korea: aggression will mean the "end"
More news: Steven Gerrard sends positive message to Liverpool fans about Philippe Coutinho

Athletes from Germany and Canada were among those who stayed at the Tower Hotel in London who got sick last week.

"There have been a number of cases of gastroenteritis reported by team members residing within one of the official team hotels for the world championships", the organizing committee said earlier in a statement.

Three people associated with the Athletics World Championships have contracted the norovirus with another 40 reporting symptoms, Public Health England (PHE) announced on Thursday.

"Those affected have been supported by both team and LOC [Local Organizing Committee] medical staff, in addition we have been working with Public Health England to ensure the situation is managed and contained".

The Tower Hotel said investigations conducted by environmental health officers and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) had shown the hotel was "not the source of the illness".

A hotel spokesman added: "We have followed strict hygiene protocol".