Gorka: WaPo 'Childish, Irresponsible' to Claim Trump Unfit to Have Nuke Codes

Share

For those anxious that President Donald Trump might get into nuclear war with North Korea, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson provided some solace Wednesday.

Assistant to the President Sebastian Gorka blasted the Washington Post for writing that President Trump is unfit to hold the nuclear codes because of his rhetoric toward North Korea.

"These statements are irresponsible and risky, and also senselessly provide a boon to domestic North Korean propaganda, which has long sought to portray the United States as a threat to their people", the letter read.

According to him, "The idea that Secretary Tillerson is going to discuss military matters is simply nonsensical", "It is the job of Secretary Mattis, the secretary of defense, to talk about the military options, and he has done so unequivocally..."

The letter was organized by Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) and co-signed by 61 of his House Democratic colleagues.

"He has been very threatening beyond a normal state", Trump said.

More news: Brokerages Set Precision Drilling Co. (TSE:PD) Target Price at $8.50
More news: Korean tensions keep yen near eight-week highs
More news: Jamie Carragher Reckons Antonio Conte Won't Last Much Longer At Chelsea

He also told reporters: "I think what the president was doing was sending a strong message with language that [North Korean leader] Kim Jong-Un would understand, because he doesn't seem to understand diplomatic language".

Tillerson seemed to scale back that red line Wednesday. Some also interpreted "fire and fury" as insinuating a nuclear strike. He is the secretary of state, that means you don't understand what the words secretaries of state means.

Tillerson's call for talks with North Korea is "strongly" supported by the 62 lawmakers and should be followed by an effort to minimize the preconditions, they said.

If that wasn't bad enough, just moments ago the President told the press, when asked about his "fire and fury comment" earlier in the week, that "maybe the statement wasn't tough enough".

Rex Tillerson, chief executive officer of Exxon Mobile Corp., speaks at the 2012 CERAWEEK conference in Houston, Texas, U.S., on Friday, March 9, 2012.

"The people of our country are safe, our allies are safe", Trump said. They highlighted that a third of South Koreans, about 30,000 USA troops and more than 100,000 other Americans living in South Korea would be in immediate danger if North Korea counterattacks after a US strike.

Share