French leader urges calm in North Korea crisis

Share

President Donald Trump's "war of words" with North Korea is not the right way to go about addressing the nuclear threat from Pyongyang, former ambassador Nancy Soderberg told CNBC on Friday.

The leaders also discussed the need to confront the "increasingly risky situation" with Pyongyang's destabilizing behavior.

A readout of the call released Saturday afternoon states that Trump and Macron spoke about North Korea, and committed to enforcing the new sanctions passed by the United Nations last week.

North Korea has reportedly been threatening to attack the US territory of Guam more than 2,000 miles southeast of North Korea in the Pacific Ocean.

"President Trump reiterated to President Macron the United States' commitment to stop the North Korean nuclear menace", it adds.

More news: Penang exco remanded five days to assist in illegal factory probe
More news: Manchester United can challenge for league title, insists Matic
More news: Solar eclipse 2017: Here's how to view it without special glasses

Sen. Graham also said he doesn't think Trump needs congressional approval to launch a military strike against North Korea, claiming, "There's nothing in the Constitution limiting the ability to use force to protect America".

The Chinese foreign ministry said Xi urged Trump to avoid "words and deeds" that would "exacerbate" the already-tense situation and to exercise restraint and seek a political settlement.

On Tuesday, Donald Trump had claimed that North Korea would "fire and anger" of the United States if ever the threats of Pyongyang continued.

In response, Japan began on Saturday to deploy its missile defense system Patriot, after threats from Pyongyang. Washington has repeatedly called on Beijing to do more against its ally north korea. However, the upcoming joint military exercises between Seoul and Washington, during which tensions on the Korean peninsula tend to worsen, start soon, around the 21st of August. North Korea responded by saying it was considering a plan to attack Guam and dismissed Trump's warnings as a "load of nonsense".

Share