Copper cocktail mugs can be poisonous, health officials say

Share

Health officials of the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division examined what happens when copper mixes with food.

If you are a fan of having your drink in a big, nice copper mug, you might want to rethink that.

"Iowa, as well as many other states, has adopted the federal Food and Drug Administration's Model Food Code, which prohibits copper from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0".

Copper mugs that are often used for cocktails could give you food poisoning, warns a USA state department.

Maybe you are no longer using plates, bowls, or other cutlery made of copper, but there might still be a way you could get into contact with the material. To make it look good, bartenders often add a lime slice above and, to make the drink as fashionable as possible, they serve it in copper mugs.

More news: New device can heal with a single touch, study says
More news: The Spelunky creator is back with not one new game, but 50
More news: Next Version Of Firefox Will Bring VR Support

Fortunately for Moscow mule enthusiasts - there is a way to indulge in the beverage with the unique copper cup. It usually contains vodka, ginger beer, and lime juice.

The pH value of the Moscow Mule cocktail which is generally served in a copper mug is well below 6.0. If you can not give up the fancy way to serve the cocktail, there is still a solution.

Bad new guys - those trendy copper mugs popping up all over your Instagram feed could actually wreack havoc on your insides.

"However, copper mugs lined on the interior with another metal, such as nickel or stainless steel, are allowed to be used and are widely available".

Share