'At least 17 dead' as gunman opens fire on Turkish restaurant

Share

Soldiers are seen at the back of a truck following an attack by gunmen on a restaurant in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, in this still frame taken from video August 13, 2017.

Army forces drive near Hotel Splendid where the attackers remain with sporadic gunfire continuing in Burkina Faso's capital Ouagadougou on January 15, 2016.

'A terrorist attack at Istanbul restaurant on Ouagadougou's Kwame Nkrumah Avenue claimed 17 victims, their nationalities are yet to be confirmed, ' a government statement said, adding that 12 people had been injured. "Security and elite forces are conducting an operation", Dandjinou reportedly said on television.

More news: Nemanja Matic Destroys Four West Ham Players With Magnificent Skill
More news: Oakland Raiders Marshawn Lynch sits during national anthem
More news: Barnaby Joyce not expecting to be disqualified because of NZ citizenship 'shock'

Witnesses were quoted as saying that three gunmen opened fire on customers seated outside a hotel and restaurant. "I just ran but my brother was left inside", the woman told Reuters TV as she fled the building.

Islamic extremists attacked another restaurant in Ouagadougou, which is in the centre of the West African country, in January a year ago, killing 30 people. Most attacks have been along its remote northern border region with Mali, a country which has been plagued by Islamist militants for more than a decade.

At least two people including one foreigner were wounded in the attack, the journalist said.

Share