Wounded Pakistan look to overcome India for final glory

Share

The rivalry between the two neighboring countries dates to 1952, just five years after independence, when India and Pakistan played their first test series.

Fans in India and Pakistan are gearing up to watch a high-voltage Champions Trophy final clash between the national sides of both the neighbouring nations on Sunday.

Pakistan's 60 per cent chances while India 40 per cent to win.

Displaying his composed mindset ahead of the mouthwatering clash with Pakistan on Sunday, the skipper stated that regardless of whom one is going to play in the finals, it is always going to be challenging.

"I don't see any relevance of the first game here because you can never tell how a particular team starts a tournament", Kohli said.

It was his first major assignment as the captain of the national cricket team. The only difference here is that it is the Mini World Cup and the captain has been replaced.

That overwhelming triumph may be regarded as giving Kohli's team a psychological advantage but he insisted that it meant nothing.

"At the same time, neither are we too intimidated nor are we too arrogant about what we are doing".

More news: World game's biggest match to decide Champions Trophy title
More news: Crestfallen that Donald Trump rolling back detente: Cubans
More news: Four tied atop US Open leaderboard after two rounds

That was the tipping point for a turnaround and from there Pakistan qualified to the semi-finals riding a string of good performances against Australia, Sri Lanka and the do-or-die encounter against New Zealand who had not lost a game until that point.

India, who launched their title-defence with a 124-run thrashing of Pakistan, were unchanged from the side that hammered Bangladesh by nine wickets in Thursday's semi-final at Birmingham's Edgbaston.

If Shikhar Dhawan (India) reaches 50 in this game, he'd have got there more often than any other batsman ever in the Champions Trophy (currently done it on six occasions).

With the win, the Men in Blue have entered their fourth Champions Trophy final (twice in 2002, 2013 and 2017).

Pakistan skipper Sarfraz Ahmed will also look to use his team's bowling strength to do the damage against an in-form Indian batting line-up.

Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir will play in Sunday's Champions Trophy final against arch-rivals India, coach Mickey Arthur has said.

India posted an impressive 319/3, before rain shortened the match and Pakistan were set a revised target of 289 to win in 41 overs.

De Villiers, who endured a disappointing tournament in charge of the number one ranked side, says Kohli is also able to cope with the extreme pressure that comes with being captain of the Indian cricket team.

Share