Turkey summons U.S. ambassador over arrest warrants for President's bodyguards


His security personnel allegedly attacked protesters outside of the Turkish ambassador's residence.

Anadolu news quoted a Foreign Ministry statement as saying that it summoned the American ambassador "upon learning that the us authorities have issued arrest warrants for some Turkish citizens and some of the security personnel of our president, due to the incident that took place in front of the Turkish ambassador's residence in Washington, D.C. on May 16th". You will recall that video appeared to show Turkey's president Erdogan speaking to his guards immediately before they turned and attacked protestors standing in the street. Eleven people, including a police officer, were hurt in the brawl. Sinan Narin of Virginia faces a charge of felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor assault, and Eyup Yildirim of New Jersey faces two charges of felony assault and a misdemeanor assault charge. Yildirim is from New Jersey, where is he now awaiting extradition, and Narin is from Virginia.

The Turkish embassy said the protesters were affiliated with the PKK and had provoked "Turkish American citizens who had peacefully assembled to greet the president".

An official told the Associated Press that "the DC police are expected to say that seven men are being charged for felonies, and another five for misdemeanors".

After police officers struggled to protect the protesters and ordered the men in suits to retreat, several of the men dodged the officers and ran into the park to continue the attacks.

More news: Michigan fires contractor doing Enbridge oil pipeline risk analysis
More news: Syngenta To Appeal $218M Verdict In Seed Case
More news: 'Cause For Serious Concern': Invasive Carp Caught 9 Miles From Great Lakes

Turkey said that the "lapses of security" during Erdogan's stay were "caused by the inability of United States authorities to take sufficient precautions at every stage of the official program".

Authorities said they identified the suspects by comparing video of the melee to passport and visa images, using facial recognition techniques.

Likewise, the US Ambassador to Turkey was summoned before Turkish officials who objected to the way the situation was handled.

The president accused the demonstrators of being affiliated with a terrorist group, a charge they deny. The incident took place after Erdoğan met U.S. President Donald Trump. "Now, the State Department should double down on efforts to help bring these individuals to justice".

That video soon went viral and the incident has been under investigation by the Washington police, the State Department and the Secret Service. "And certainly anyone traveling to the United States will be held to that standard".