Third attacker identified after London Bridge terrorist attack

Share

Global desk - Police have released names and photographs of three suspected London Bridge attackers who were shot dead eight minutes after they used a van and knives to kill seven pedestrians.

Police investigating the terror attack at London Bridge, in which eight people died, have made another arrest.

The 29-year-old man was arrested in the early hours of Friday morning on suspicion of being involved in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

Police said three men - Khuram Shazad Butt, 27; Rachid Redouane, 30; and Youssef Zaghba, 22 - rammed a van into pedestrians on London Bridge before launching a stabbing spree in bars and restaurants at nearby Borough Market on Saturday.

Three more people were arrested yesterday in connection with London's weekend terrorist attack which left eight people dead, British police said. His mother was said to have told police a year ago that he had asked her for money to travel to Rome before he left on his attempted trip to Syria.

Prime Minister Theresa May came under pressure from the media and the opposition Labour Party on Monday over cuts to police funding during the years when she was interior minister. Both men lived in the same area of east London.

Spain's foreign minister, Alfonso Dastis, says his British counterpart, Boris Johnson, has promised to accelerate efforts to identify victims in Saturday's attack that killed seven people and injured dozens more.

Zaghba is believed to an Italian national of Moroccan descent, the Met's Counter Terrorism Command said, adding that he was not a police or MI5 subject of interest.

More news: 1.5 million attend Golden State Warriors' NBA Finals victory parade
More news: Ronaldo rocks Madrid with exit move
More news: As Brexit talks loom, May scrambles for deal to stay in power

The third suspect in the London Bridge terror attack in shown in this handout photo.

"There was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly".

Twelve people arrested by police on Sunday have all been released without charge.

Butt was known to police and "openly fundamentalist", NPR's Eleanor Beardsley reports from London.

The Islamic State group has said its "fighters" carried out the attack. The 48 injured included people from Britain, France, Spain, Australia and New Zealand, in what May called "an attack on the free world". Italian officials said suspicions about him had been shared with British authorities.

Rachid Redouane, age 30, killer number two, was given the identity of a Moroccan-Libyan pastry chef by his European wife on their child's birth certificate and had an Irish identity card, although he was apparently "not known to Irish police".

But with Britons due to vote in a national election on Thursday, her decision to reduce the number of police officers in England and Wales by nearly 20,000 during her six years as interior minister from 2010 to 2016 shot to the top of the political agenda.

Share