Melbourne terrorist killed by cops was on parole

Share

The Islamic State (ISIS) terror group claimed responsibility for the violent incident.

"Subsequently he (Khayre) came out of the apartment with a shotgun and commenced to fire at police at the entry-way to the apartments". "We believe that calls (were) made by the individual inside the apartment", Ashton said.

Victoria state Police Commissioner Graham Ashton said earlier Khayre had arranged to meet a female escort at a block of serviced apartments in the beachside Melbourne suburb of Brighton on Monday.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said he would be asking for answers from state authorities on how Khayre was allowed to be out on parole. He was charged over a foiled plot to attack the Holsworthy Army barracks in Sydney in 2009 but was acquitted while three others were found guilty of planning the attack. AAP/Julian Smith/via REUTERS Police carry a bag outside the home of Yacqub Khayre at Roxburgh Park in Melbourne, Australia, June 6.

Police were called Monday after an explosion was reported in the Bay Street apartment complex in Brighton. As per the reports, three cops were also injured during the counter siege operation.

Turnbull confirmed that the dead gunman, Yacqub Khayre, had been previously acquitted of terror-related charges, and said there were "grave questions" about why he was out on parole despite a known record of violent offending.

The gunman killed the man with a sawn-off shotgun, held a Colombian woman hostage, tampered with his Global Positioning System bracelet and shot the three officers before dying in a hail of bullets.

"This terrorist attack by a known criminal, a man who was only recently released on parole, is a shocking, cowardly crime", he said, calling for the parole decision to be reviewed.

More news: Bill Cosby lawyer takes aim at Andrea Constand
More news: Tillerson Urges Nations To End Blockade Against Qatar
More news: The best reactions from the Cavaliers' season-saving win over the Warriors

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull assailed the attack during a news conference Tuesday.

"We're always concerned about copy cats", Australia's acting police commissioner Michael Phelan said, according to NBC.

ISIS provided no evidence to their claim of responsibility in the Melbourne attack and Ashton said there was no indication that any wider network was involved in Monday's shooting.

Australia is facing "a growing threat from Islamist terrorism", Turnbull said. But it was too early to know if the gunman set out to target police or "seized the opportunity he thought was presented to him last evening", Ashton said.

Ashton said there was nothing to link the violence with a van and knife attacks in London in which three assailants killed seven people.

The network immediately called police and passed on the details of the call and the man's phone number.

"With every development in the sick pathology of terrorism, we have to learn from it, we must be more agile that those who seek to do us harm".

Share