Megyn Kelly No Longer Hosting Sandy Hook Benefit Over Alex Jones Interview


The group can not support Kelly or NBC's decision to give a platform to Jones and hopes NBC reconsiders its plan to broadcast the interview, said Nicole Hockley, co-founder and managing director.

Nicole Hockley, co-founder of the group Sandy Hook Promise, said she hopes Kelly and NBC reconsider the interview.

After Kelly posted a teaser for the interview on Twitter this past Sunday night, Nelba Márquez-Greene, whose daughter Ana was killed in the shooting, posted a series of tweets criticizing the host for giving Jones a platform. "Why?" Kristin Lemkau, chief marketing officer at JPMorgan Chase, tweeted on Monday.

Kelly said the interview with Jones was warranted because U.S. President Donald Trump has appeared on Jones's radio show and intends to give InfoWars media accreditation to White House briefings. He has repeatedly claimed that 9/11 was an "inside job" and said that the parents of the 20 students murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012 were actors and that their children's deaths and the deaths of six adults at the school were faked.

Even Jones himself joined in the choruses calling for the interview to be pulled, describing it as a "hit piece". On Monday, JP Morgan Chase pulled ads from NBC News until the interview airs because of the decision.

More news: US congressman Scalise still in critical condition - hospital
More news: Germany expects no delay in Brexit negotiations
More news: Congressional Baseball Game Brings Healing To Fans & Players

Nearly immediately after its announcement, Megyn Kelly's planned interview with Infowars host Alex Jones-scheduled to air this Sunday on Kelly's new NBC News show Sunday Night With Megyn Kelly- has stirred controversy and anger, with even high-profile detractors like Captain America star Chris Evans weighing in against it.

"I have had debates where, we devil's advocates have said the whole story is true, and then I have had debates where I have said, that none of it is true", he said. "As an advertiser, I'm repulsed that @megynkelly would give a second of airtime to someone who says Sandy Hook and Aurora are hoaxes", she wrote.

The interview has put Kelly, who jumped to NBC from Fox News Channel earlier this year, squarely back in the headlines; the New York Daily News called it "Nutwork News" on its front page Tuesday. "But the other side of me believes those parents I've seen on TV and real mass shootings do happen, so it probably did happen".

Kelly said that she finds Jones's "suggestion that Sandy Hook was "a hoax" as personally revolting as every other rational person does", but defended her decision to interview him.

Jones' ex-wife, Kelly, who has been locked in a custody battle with him, told Inside Edition that his claims about Sandy Hook have had heartbreaking consequences.