London mosque attack suspect named, according to media outlets

Share

A 47-year-old man was restrained by locals at the scene and police later arrested him on suspicion of attempted murder and terrorism offences.

In a statement Mr Osborne's nephew Ellis, 26, said "we are massively shocked; it's unbelievable, it still hasn't really sunk in".

Police arrested a man who was held by members of the public.

Police officers stand guard outside a residential property in Cardiff, south Wales as investigations continue into the attack.

.

The attack was the fourth since March in Britain, and the third to involve a vehicle deliberately driven at pedestrians in London.

Darren Osborne's sister Nicola said her brother had been "troubled for a long time".

The driver of the van was said by witnesses to have shouted: "I'm going to kill Muslims" and to have taunted the injured.

Authorities said the victims were all from the Muslim community.

The use of a vehicle to mow down pedestrians drew horrifying parallels with the June 3 attack, when three men drove a van into pedestrians before embarking on a stabbing spree, and with another auto and knife rampage in Westminster in March.

More news: Confederations Cup: Australia v Germany preview
More news: EU, Britain possible to strike 'fair deal'
More news: Scalise still critical but improved

Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the "sickening" incident, reaffirming Britain's determination to fight "terrorism, extremism and hatred".

However, as he tried to flee from the scene a group of men chased after him and were filmed pinning the suspect to the floor before dragging him along the road. Kacimi said when he did so, the driver said to him: "I've done my bit".

By this she pointed a finger towards the media and public alike who treat terror attacks carried out by Muslims differently than those carried out by followers of another religion.

The suspect remains in custody at a London police station.

"The United States strongly condemns last night's attack that appears to have targeted Muslim worshippers in London", Nauert said.

The man who was receiving assistance at the bus stop - a father of six who reportedly suffered from heart problems - was killed, and the 10 injured included two disabled people and a woman in her 70s.

Condemning the incident, Prime Minister Theresa May said: "This is a bad incident", adding, "All my thoughts are with those who have been injured, their loved ones, and the emergency services on the scene".

One man was pronounced dead at the scene and eight people were taken to hospital.

Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said the incident was "quite clearly an attack on Muslims", and there would be more police, including armed officers, in the area, "particularly around religious establishments".

Share