Andrea Constand Testifies Bill Cosby Drugged And Molested Her


Actor Bill Cosby arrives for his trial on sexual assault charges at the Montgomery County Courthouse on June 6, 2017, in Norristown, Pennsylvania.

Cosby is now standing trial for the allegations of Andrea Constand, a former Temple University employee who claims that in 2004, Cosby invited her to his home, sedated her, and sexually violated her. Cosby claims that the sexual contact was consensual.

She said Mr Cosby gave her pills he claimed were herbal to help her relieve stress over a possible career change. But within minutes she began to feel woozy, Johnson said, and later woke up on Cosby's bed to find her dress undone around her waist and Cosby forcing her to touch him.

Cosby is charged with three counts of aggravated indecent assault, which carry up to 10 years each. The defense has argued the two had a romantic relationship, that Constand wasn't incapacitated and that the sexual encounter was consensual. Under the terms of that settlement, Constand was unable to speak publicly about the alleged assault until her courtroom testimony on Tuesday. More than a decade later, as the wave of accusations began to snowball, a federal judge made a decision to unseal Cosby's deposition from that civil case. Instead, she said he responded, "I thought you had an orgasm, didn't you?"

The transcript of Cosby's unsealed 2005 deposition shows him admitting to giving quaaludes to women "the same as a person would say, have a drink", and bragging that he used his position of power to offer women career advice and mentorship in return for sex. "But I knew I couldn't really get up and go anywhere at the same time, because my legs were rubbery, I was in no state of mind".

A mother of a witness who separately claimed Mr Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in a similar manner in 1996 also testified on Tuesday in Norristown, a suburb of Philadelphia, where the trial is being held. One time, he placed a hand on her thigh.

The defense has pointed out that phone records show Constand called Cosby 53 times after she says he assaulted her. Constand told the jury the calls mostly involved the women's basketball team, especially around tournament time.

"I wanted it to stop", she added, her voice quivering. After it was over, and she could move her body again, she says she moved into Cosby's kitchen, where he gave her a muffin and some tea, then exited his house without saying anything to him, because "I felt really humiliated, and I was really confused".

Prosecutors are trying to show Cosby's treatment of Constand fit a pattern of predatory behaviour.

More news: Wednesday weather: Partly sunny, but rain expected tonight
More news: Sen. Collins: Tone, context of Trump-Comey conversations "so important"
More news: LeBron James sounds down in the dumps

More than 50 women have said Cosby assaulted them, but the statute of limitations has run out in almost all cases.

"In my head, I was trying to get my hands to move or my legs to move, but I was frozen", she said, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"She called me at work, she was almost hysterical and she was crying", Sewell testified. "I also told Mr. Cosby I [had] trouble seeing him", she said. "I don't want that".

Constand isn't his only alleged victim on the stand. Johnson struggled to explain them.

The trial, which was expected to last two weeks, continues Wednesday with the end of Constand's cross-examination by Cosby's defense. It was this exact dismissive cultural attitude of placing a male celebrity's reputation over the emotional testimonies of multiple women that kept numerous victims silent for years.

She said she was just finishing up dinner his personal chef had cooked her when Cosby came downstairs to chat with her about Temple.

Taking the witness stand on the second day of Cosby's trial, Pattrice Sewell told jurors that her daughter, Kristen Johnson, didn't tell her all the details of the forced sexual liaison until much later.

But the account Sewell gave jurors Tuesday mirrored much of what her daughter had said a day earlier.

The comic - who was at one point the highest-paid actor in the United States - has said he will not testify in the trial, which is expected to last about two weeks.