Yemen's Houthis say fire ballistic missile towards Saudi capital

Share

The Iran-allied Houthis launched a Burkan-1 missile toward Riyadh, a statement by their official news agency said.

The report, however, gave no further detail, including the exact impact location, the possible casualty toll and the extent of potential damage inflicted.

Salman Al-Ansari, president of the Saudi American Public Relation Affairs Committee (SAPRAC), said US President Donald Trump's visit to Saudi Arabia holds unprecedented strategic significance in strengthening bilateral ties, especially given that for the first time in history the Kingdom will be the first country visited by a sitting US president while on their duties overseas.

Trump, whose country provides weapons, intelligence and aerial refuelling for the Arab coalition, is due to arrive on Saturday for two days of talks with Saudi, Gulf, and Muslim leaders.

More news: Sachin Tendulkar's Sachin A Billion Dreams special screening for Armed forces
More news: Chelsea Manning Leaves Prison a Free Woman
More news: Trump scandals no issue for Saudi: minister

Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya news channel reported that the Arab coalition destroyed the military base in Yemen's Sana'a from where the missile was sacked.

Local sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said two people lost their lives and four others sustained injuries on Saturday when Saudi fighter jets bombarded a residential neighborhood in the village of Bayt Baws, Arabic-language al-Masirah satellite television network reported. The coalition said it has immediately retaliated by bombing the Houthi military base in the Attan area following the attack Friday.

Saudi Arabia, a staunch adversary of Iran, deeply opposed the nuclear accord forged between former president Barack Obama and world powers with Tehran.

The rebels insisted that the missile had been fired at Jeddah, the Red Sea city in the sprawling Mecca region, not at the holy city itself.

Share