USA military confirms North Korean launch of new short-range ballistic missile

Share

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff on Monday warned North Korea against further provocations.

The Pentagon said Wednesday it plans to deter North Korean threats by deploying eight additional ground-based interceptor missiles at Fort Greely, Alaska.

Suga, the Japanese cabinet secretary, said the missile fell about 300 kilometers (190 miles) north of the Oki islands in southwestern Japan and 500 kilometers (310 miles) west of Sado island in central Japan.

A woman watches a TV screen showing a file footage of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, at Seoul Train Station in Seoul, South Korea, Monday, May 29, 2017.

Experts say the North appears to be gaining meaningful data that is fed into its effort to build an intercontinental ballistic missile.

The Japanese government held a National Security Council meeting following the missile launch and Abe called for gathering information on the missile launch, steps to ensure the safety of airplanes and vessels, and keeping alert for any unexpected contingencies, Suga said.

North Korea, which has conducted dozens of missile tests and tested two nuclear bombs since the start of 2016 in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions, says the program is necessary to counter USA aggression.

The photos released by the North's state-run newspaper, Rodong Sinmun, on Sunday showed the launch scenes involving several mobile launchers on a field. "Pacific Command stands behind our ironclad commitment to the security of our allies in the Republic of Korea and Japan".

More news: Cannes 2017: Ruben Östlund's The Square wins Palme d'Or
More news: Muguruza hoping to avoid embarrassing exit in Paris
More news: 8 dead in shooting rampage in Mississippi; suspect arrested

The content of that message is open to interpretation, but some see a resolve to ignore USA -led pressure, which has included vague threats from President Donald Trump and the arrival in Korean waters of powerful US military hardware, while also showing that the North can hit USA targets near and far.

"The government will not tolerate any kinds of provocation and take stern action ..." The statement by the Joint Chiefs of Staff early Monday morning didn't say what type of projectile was sacked or if it was successful.

North Korea has said its missile testing is in reaction to threats against it by the South, the United States and Japan.

On Tuesday, the United States will test an existing missile defense system to try to intercept an ICBM, the first such test, officials said last week.

It pointed out that the missile firing is a clear violation of the U.N. Security Council resolutions banning the North from conducting any launches using ballistic missile technology.

The White House said President Donald Trump has been briefed on the issue.

Monday's launch marked the communist nation's ninth missile test this year and the third since the launch of the Moon administration on May 10, which is seeking to reach out to the neighbor.

Share