Seven people have now been arrested in the United Kingdom in connection with the bombing, which killed 22 people and injured 64 others on Monday.
Forensic crime scene images showing fragments from the bomb as well as a backpack allegedly used to carry it appeared in the New York Times on Thursday, and were picked up by other media outlets.
"We are furious. This is completely unacceptable", a Foreign Office source told the Press Association. If confirmed, the halt to the sharing investigative details with Britain's most important defence and security ally would underscore the level of anger in Britain at leaks to the USA media of details about the police investigation.More news: Monk leaves Leeds after Radrizzani takeover
More news: Bank of America Corporation (BAC), Cumulus Media Inc. (CMLS)
More news: Senate panel OKs new sanctions on Iran; nuclear deal remains
This follows the initial information leak, which happened just after the attack itself, with the identity of the 22-year-old British-born bomber Salman Abedi revealed by CBS, NBC, and then Reuters, citing USA officials, the Guardian reported. Greater Manchester Police said late Wednesday that six men and one woman had been arrested in a series of counterterror raids across Manchester's sprawling suburbs.
British police have stopped sharing information on the suicide bombing in Manchester with the United States, the BBC reported on Thursday, because of fears that leaks in the USA media could hinder a hunt for a possible bomb-maker still at large.
The UK's National Police Chiefs' Council slammed the "unauthorised disclosure" and said it was a breach of trust that undermines a "major counter-terrorism investigation".