'Significant arrests' in hunt for bomber Salman Abedi's network

Share

Hopkins said it's "important that we continue to stand together" following the terror attack, which saw British-born Muslim Salman Abedi kill 22 people at the Manchester Arena following a concert by USA singer Ariana Grande.

Greater Manchester Police said two men - one 25 years old and the other 19 - were arrested in the city on suspicion of terrorist offenses.

Fourteen people have been arrested over the deadly bombing at the Ariana Grande concert, with 12 people remaining in custody.

Eight men are in custody in connection with Monday's atrocity, with police and security agencies working at pace amid fears of further attacks.

Britain's senior counter-terror officer Mark Rowley said "immense progress" had been made in the investigation, but further arrests were likely.

Police are trying to close in on a suspected terror network linked to the Manchester bomber Salman Abedi.

Despite the apparent success of the investigation, the terrorism threat level remains at critical.

British officials have confirmed Adebi had recently returned from Libya and the officers said police needed information about his movements from May 18 when he returned to Britain.

However, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, the United Kingdom police chief for counter-terrorism, advised people to be vigilant but to "go out as you planned and enjoy yourselves".

More news: FA Cup unlikely to have any bearing on future: Wenger
More news: IndyCar hero Scott Dixon robbed at gunpoint hours after Indy 500 qualifying
More news: DHS chief says reported Russian back-channel not a 'big deal'

But as he appears to be waiting, it is possible he had already reached his destination: the Manchester Arena, where thousands of children and their parents were attending the Ariana Grande concert.

He said police have reviewed security at more than 1,300 events across the United Kingdom and urged public not to change any plan and "go out as you planned and enjoy yourselves".

London police say extra security is being added for major sporting events this weekend including the FA Cup soccer final at Wembley Stadium.

The following day, The New York Times published crime-scene photos showing what appear to be fragments of the bomb used in the attack inside Manchester Arena.

Northern rail said Friday that Manchester Victoria Station "suffered structural damage that still needs to be properly assessed and repaired".

Hundreds of soldiers have been sent to replace police at high-profile sites including Buckingham Palace and Parliament, and police armed with submachine guns are being deployed in city centers, transit hubs, tourist areas and major events.

Donald Trump said Theresa May was "very angry" about leaks to the United States media of sensitive information about the Manchester Arena bombing.

Grande announced her intentions in an uplifting letter posted online that called on her fans to have courage following the attacks, and expressed a deep sense of sorrow for those lost and the families who are mourning their loved ones following the "heinous" attack. We won't let this divide us.

Share