Sharapova opts against Wimbledon wildcard

Share

Since the end of her 15-month doping ban last month, Sharapova has used wildcard entries to play three events on the main WTA tour to try to get her world ranking up to a level where she can automatically enter anywhere again.

Maria Sharapova will not request a wildcard for the main draw of Wimbledon and will instead begin her campaign at SW19 through qualifying.

The 30-year-old, whose chances of climbing high enough up the Women's Tennis Association rankings to make the automatic Wimbledon draw were scotched when she pulled out of this week's Italian Open with injury, has made a decision to take matters into her own hands by attempting to win the Roehampton qualifying tournament.

That came hours after the French tennis authorities turned her down for Roland Garros, saying it would be wrong to hand a wild card to a player returning from a doping suspension.

She is just returning from a drug ban and the organizers cited the ban as the reason for denying her a wildcard.

"Now that Maria has earned direct entry into Wimbledon qualifying, we want to give British tennis fans the chance to see her compete here beforehand". Sharapova said on her website. The five-time Grand Slam victor had plummeted to 211.

More news: Kim Kardashian Reveals Truth Behind Some Of Her Most Personal Instagram Posts
More news: Trump denies collusion with Russian Federation but says he 'speaks for himself'
More news: Fleury or Murray? Sullivan keeps quiet on goalie situation

"I do not agree with is the basis put forward by the French Tennis Federation for their decision with respect to Maria Sharapova", said Simon.

While this ended her hopes of qualifying on merit for Wimbledon's main draw, a decision on whether she is granted a main draw spot will be taken on June 20, according to reports.

Eugenie Bouchard recently beat Sharapova shortly after voicing her displeasure at the Russian being allowed to play at the top tournaments.

The remaining Main Draw wild card announcements for Birmingham and our other events will be announced in the coming weeks.

The British No.1 was facing the American for the first time since March, when victory sent her into the Miami final. She has paid the price through her 15-month ban and now can return to action.

Share