Britain to arrest criminal behind NHS cyber attack: Home Secretary


As the highly publicised Wana Decryptor or WannaCry ransomware attacks continue to hit businesses, the Australian Government has revealed the number of local victims had reached 12 and more were suspected.

The Company Chemists" Association (CCA), a trade body that represents multiple pharmacy chains in the United Kingdom, is planning to set up a "crisis team' in the wake of the malware attack that hit the NHS on 12 May 2017.

Some victims were ignoring official advice and paying the $300 (10,350 baht) ransom demanded by the cyber criminals to unlock their computers, which was due to double to $600 on Monday for computers hit by Friday's first wave.

In light of the attack, justice secretary Michael Matheson said the Scottish Government is taking action to enhance security, including contacting more than 120 public bodies to ensure they have appropriate defences in place.

Bossert said less than $70,000 has been paid in response to the cyberattacks.

But on Tuesday afternoon the trust confirmed the services would return to normal tomorrow morning. He said it was too early to tell how many websites had been affected. Activating the domain worked as a kill switch for the malware.

"It would be a relatively simple matter to alter the code of the malware to circumvent the temporary solution that has been found to stop the current attack", he said.

More news: London City Airport's flights to be controlled from 70 miles away
More news: Extends sanctions relief under Iran nuclear deal
More news: Sharapova to play in Birmingham grass court event

The virus hit computers running older versions of Microsoft Corp software that had not been recently updated.

WannaCry ransomware had spread using a loophole in Microsoft windows operating systems that were initially found by the USA national security agency (NSA), which according to reports was using it in order to find a way to hack networks of terrorist groups, and was leaked by Shadow Brokers, which said that it had found the tools in agency's servers which the group had breached earlier. Some have also been machines involved in manufacturing or hospital functions, hard to patch without disrupting operations. He said infection rates slowed over the weekend.

Security agencies have so far not been able to identify who was behind the attack.

Companies have warned users and staff not to click on attachments or links.

It said: 'There were no infected computers in North East GP practices and the priority through this global malware incident was to protect the NHS computer network, clinical systems and patient data - and this was done very successfully.

The NHS announced on Monday that it was "open for business" but acknowledged that some hospitals and GP surgeries are still suffering disruption.