The charge carries a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison, but could involve no jail time depending on the determination of a judge.
Former U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner has pleaded guilty to transmitting sexual material to a minor and could get years in prison. Hillary Clinton's trusted aide filed an anonymous versus anonymous action in the Manhattan Supreme Court, according to the outlet, and is asking for the case to be sealed.
"I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse", he said, according to The New York Daily News. He also sent photos of himself to the girl, including one in which he was shirtless at a pool, and reportedly solicited sexually explicit pictures her. He said he knew the texting was "as morally wrong as it was unlawful".
As part of the plea agreement, he will have to comply with the Sex Offender Registry and Notification Act. His lawyer can request leniency at a sentencing scheduled for September 8.
Weiner wept as he read a prepared statement to the court admitting that he "compulsively sought" women for "sexual and non-sexual communication" which has had "devastating consequences" to him and his family. He then apologized to the girl.More news: Beating Arsenal will be boost for next season - Schneiderlin
More news: Canada Responds To Launch Of US NAFTA Consultations
More news: Boy found dead in stolen car in Mississippi, 3 arrested
Weiner left Congress in June 2011 when sexually-charged, sometimes explicit, texts with women other than his wife first emerged.
The FBI began investigating Weiner in September after a 15-year-old North Carolina girl told a tabloid news site that she and the disgraced former politician had exchanged lewd messages for several months.
The former rising star in the Democratic Party saw his career as a USA congressman come to a halt in June 2011. The US attorney's office in Manhattan confirmed the court appearance but declined to release additional details about the charges against the Democrat.
Citing the newly discovered Weiner emails, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said last October that it was reopening its probe into the security of Clinton's emails during her time as secretary of state, but it closed the probe again in November without taking any prosecutorial action. Despite his tarnished reputation, he ran for mayor of New York City in 2013. But Clinton partly blamed her election loss to Republican Donald Trump on Comey's announcement.
Earlier this month, Comey told a Senate committee that Abedin regularly emailed classified documents to Weiner, though he said he does not believe any crimes were committed and that the documents were forwarded as a "matter of convenience".
Weiner's lawyer, Arlo Devlin Brown, didn't immediately return a message Friday.